Friday, October 31, 2008

Zucchini Bread

I forgot to take my shopping list with me on my last trip to Trader Joe's. Since I plan my meals and shop for two weeks at a time, I thought I would have to make a second trip to pick up all the things I forgot.

Luckily, I have a mind like a steel trap (Just don't listen to Lydia who is always telling me I have short-term memory loss). I only forgot one thing.

I had specifically written on my list that I should NOT buy the 3 pounds of zucchini I needed for a recipe a week and a half later. Oh well, when you have zucchini, make zucchini bread.

Here's how:

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Blend all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

With my 3 pounds of zucchini, I ended up making this recipe x4. It was a big hit at park day and when we served it to guests. My kids have been happy to eat it all week, which is good because some went into the freezer. I just finished baking some in muffin form as part of my dad's birthday present (ssssh, don't tell). (The muffins will take about 1/2 as much time in the oven.)

Take advantage of the squash that is in season right now and give this recipe a try!

Happy Halloween.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Yum! That sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe :)