Wednesday, October 1, 2008

To Shave or Not to Shave

If you know me well at all, you know I rarely shave. Legs, armpits, anything. There are two reasons for this. Number one and most importantly, I just don't care. I hardly ever wear anything that shows my legs. I am a long pants and skirts kind of girl. So why go to the trouble of shaving where no one sees? As for the armpits, I just like to let them grow. Actually, most of the women I know don't shave their pits, so it's not like that makes me stand out in the crowd.

The second reason is water conservation. It kills me to think of all the water that is wasted while I stand in the shower shaving my copious amount of body hair. Did you know that an older showerhead dispenses an average of 7 gallons per minute? A water-saving fixture is only about 2.5 gallons per minute. If it takes you 10 minutes to shave, (it takes me much longer) that is 25-70 gallons of water! Yikes!

Shaving in a full tub uses 28-36 gallons of water, but I find that to be a bit gross. I don't like to sit in all that body hair and soap. It makes me feel like I need to shower afterward, which of course, just uses up more water.

When I do shave, I do it as shown in the picture. I have a small (2 quart), plastic bowl that I fill with water. I use the this to rinse my razor as needed. I wet my legs with a bit of water before I apply the shaving cream. After shaving, I use a bit more water to rinse my legs off. I have estimated my total water usage to shave my legs is about 1 gallon. Yay, me!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Shave your pits...for all of us!

Truefan said...

Same thing I said on the last blog... this is just wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

susie said...

I vote for shaving and using all of the water and soap you want!!!