Monday, September 8, 2008

The Perils of Conservation

Yesterday morning as I was hanging my laundry to dry, I was swarmed by bees! Okay, maybe swarmed is a bit overly-dramatic. Two of the little suckers landed in my laundry basket. They seemed to be using their proboscides to search for the moisture in the laundry. Every time I pulled laundry out from under them, they flew at me. I waved them away as carefully as possible considering their value as pollinators, but they just kept coming back. It took me quite a while to hang the laundry and the job was not up to my usual standards

Once I was done, I went inside for the camera. When I got back outside, I counted 7 honey bees hovering around the rack. Unfortunately, my camera is really slow, so this is the only picture I got.

Check out this link to learn more about the honey bee and the mysterious Colony Collapse Disorder that has been destroying colonies for the past few years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_bee

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm proud that you continued! I think I would have given up and headed in to use my dryer!

Matt said...

Here is an online store that makes organic products from honey. They support agencies that are working to help the bee problem.

http://www.beeceuticals.com/store/save.php

Kim said...

you have had your share of visitors to your garden lately. First the bee swarm and now the hookworm! Yikes!

Unknown said...

It's the end of summer, and insects are working harder to look for a source of water.

Consider doing your laundry at night. You'll use energy when the demand is lower. While you won't be enjoying the sunshine and fresh air while you hang clothes, you'll also won't have to deal with buzzing friends.

In foggy San Francisco, I have to give my clothes a head start on drying by hanging overnight. Plus, it's one less thing I have to do during the hectic morning!