Friday, September 26, 2008

How to get your spouse/children to eat tofu, part 2

More great ideas from Sandy Hardin...

Tofu is bland and easily accepts the neighboring flavors. An easy way to introduce tofu into your diet is to slowly substitute small amounts of tofu for ground meat. My husband's first taste of tofu was in meatballs.

I made the Frugal Gourmet's "Roman Style Meatballs," but substituted mashed tofu for the pork. You can get the recipe at http://www.bigoven.com/136577-Meatballs,-Roman-Style-recipe.html. My husband ate half the batch before I had a chance to tell him they were laced with tofu.

You can substitute a quarter of the ground meat in any recipe without changing the taste and texture. I use this trick to stretch the meat in meatloaf, burgers, taco filling, meatballs, and beef patties with brown gravy. I've also added mashed tofu to tuna salad and egg salad. (My kids clamor for the chance to squeeze the tofu to bits.) I've even made eggless egg salad, using all tofu.

Silken (soft) tofu provides a good protein boost to shakes and smoothies. I fed my kids small tofu cubes, straight from the carton, when they were first learning to use their fingers to feed themselves.

Eggless Salad Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved Show: Food 911 Episode: Terrific Tofu in Honolulu HI
2 pounds soft tofu
1/2 cup soy-based mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup diced green onions
Salt and pepper
Place the tofu in a mixing bowl and mash with a wooden spoon. Mix in the remaining ingredients and combine well. Chill slightly, then serve on a bed of mixed greens or as a sandwich.

No comments: