Thursday, September 18, 2008

Poor Little Apples

Three little apples that no one would eat. They traveled from grocery store to home to the cabin to home over a period of 2 weeks. Much worse for the wear, bruised and battered...sigh...what to do?

Applesauce, of course! The recipe in Laurel's Kitchen calls for 6 apples, a handful of raisins, 1/2 cup water or apple juice and lemon juice or peel. I only had the 3 apples, but I figured I could cut the recipe in half pretty easily. The raisins sounded gross, so I left them out. I opted for the apple juice to to give my dried out apples a little boost. I was going to add the lemon juice, but while I was prepping the apples, Rowan asked for then left much of an orange uneaten. I tried to eat it, but it tasted like rancid orange juice! It's citrus, right? So I cut it up & tossed it in the pot with the cored and cut apples.

The next step was to add the apple juice and bring to a boil, then simmer until tender. Then into the blender with some cinnamon to puree. I added more apple juice as I pureed to get it to the consistency I wanted.

The result was about 3 cups of extremely yummy applesauce. I actually ate it before I got around to taking a picture! It was a great breakfast for several mornings mixed with some plain yogurt.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I might have to give this one a try, we have a few old apples laying around.

Unknown said...

I like your "use it up" mentality, Jen. You can save a lot of money by eating/using up your food, instead of throwing them out.