Saturday, September 25, 2010

Coincidence

Since we moved to Sacramento 2+ years ago, I've been running into a lot of coincidences connected to my childrens' names.  My kids don't have the most common names, so it's been surprising each time.  These aren't just singular coincidences,  either.

First, there was the homeschooling mom named Molly with the daughter named Lydia who had the same midwives as me.

There was a family we'd see at all the childrens' functions at the library.  Turns out they are homeschoolers.  They know a lot of the same people we do.  They have a daughter named Lydia.

One day at the dance studio I noticed a woman reading the exact same book I was.  You know I don't read anything current.  This was the 1972 Wallace Stegner book Angle of Repose.  I later found out she has a daughter named Molly.  Molly is in all of Rowan's dance classes.

Last week a woman approached me at the dance studio and asked, "Did you say her name was Rowan and his is Desmond?"  I, of course, said, "Yes".  She went on to tell me that her maiden name was Desmond and her brother has a son named Rowan.  Yup,  Rowan Desmond!

I wonder what the odds of all these coincidences happening are?  Anybody out there smart enough to figure it out for me?

2 comments:

Matt said...

That's what you get for picking common and trendy names! ;-]

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.