Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Watson House Bread


It has been almost one month since I bought a loaf of sliced bread. In that time, I have made too many loaves to count! It is amazing how simple it is to keep fresh, homemade bread in the house.

I use a bread machine. It allows me to start a loaf and then go about my day. No worrying about rising time or kneading. No heating up the oven (and house). No under or over cooked bread.

There are a couple of drawbacks to the bread machine, though. You do have to pay attention to the initial kneading cycle. Very often I have to add more liquid or scrape down the sides to ensure all the dry ingredients are properly mixed. The other issue I have is the hole left by the blade. It leaves a couple of slices in the middle of the loaf misshapen.

All-in-all, the bread machine makes my life a whole lot easier.

Our "house" bread is All-American Beer Bread. The recipe is from a Better Homes & Gardens cook book. It works great for sandwiches, toast or even as dinner bread.


All-American Beer Bread
(1 1/2 lb. loaf)

1 cup + 2 tablespoons beer (It's fun to experiment with different types!)
1 tablespoon butter
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order suggested by manufacturer.
For my machine, it is liquids first, then dry, then yeast on top in a shallow hole.
I use the wheat setting, medium dark.

I let the bread cool uncovered, then store in a plastic bag. 1 loaf lasts us about 2 days.

Time - about 4 hours
Cost - Less than $2. (Depends on type of beer used.)

2 comments:

Error said...

I'm going have to say this whole concept is perfect for you. The bread is just... the kernel on top? I know how much you hate to go to the grocery store, so the more food and adjustments you can make at home, the less you have to go! I'm also very proud of you for being able to use the bread machine. My bread always came out like river rocks with a golf ball sized center of hot joy.

Unknown said...

I like the concept of "house" bread. Let us know when you get to the "house" wine.