Friday, August 8, 2008

Laurel's Kitchen - A Vegetarian Cookbook

This is my 'new' favorite cookbook. I got it for free at a park day here in Sacto. It is actually far from new, being first published in 1976. My particular copy is a 1986 reprint. It spent many happy years in the Sacramento Public Library system (I say happy because it is in great shape!) before being sold. I am sure it had many fabulous adventures before it made its way to me just a few short months ago.

We have been having great fun together! Wave made Homemade Ketchup (that story coming soon), I made mayo. The Carrot Salad was a huge success.

I am most excited about the section on condiments and sauces. The salad dressing recipes absolutely make my mouth water!

This is not just a cookbook. It begins by describing the inspiration and mission behind the making of the book. Then there are 283 pages of recipes interlaced with descriptions of different ingredients and tecniques used. There are a few pages of suggested menus, then 150 pages about nutrition.

This book covers it all and despite it's age is not dated. All the nutritional information is based on practical, common sense ideas. There are no fad diets or extreme ideas.

I recommend you pick up a copy of this book! Especially if you see it at a thrift store or yard sale. Even if you are not a vegetarian, you will find many yummy recipes.

Use this Amazon link to see inside the book http://www.amazon.com/New-Laurels-Kitchen-Vegetarian-Nutrition/dp/089815166X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

No comments: