Thursday, May 13, 2010

Defeat (An Over-dramatization in One Act)

Scene - A darkened stage.  A single spotlight comes on to show a woman standing alone.  The scenery far to the rear of the lighted area conveys the impression of a confessional but on a larger scale. When 'the boy' is mentioned, the woman gestures and a smaller spotlight shows a toddler in bed to the right.

The woman speaks loudly and clearly but does not make eye contact with her audience.

"My quest to right the transgressions of my disposable diaper using years has met with a small defeat in the form of a rashy bum.  After only one night back in a cloth diaper, his poor little behind was once again a raw, red mess.  My head hanging low, I made the long walk of shame down the diaper aisle of a store I'd rather not mention.  The boy now sleeps soundly, swaddled in plastic & polymers, his tushy free from painful sores."

Both spotlights go out at once and the stage is dark again.

(Don't get your hopes up Mom,  they're only for nighttime. ;)

1 comment:

Janet said...

I shouldn't laugh, but I think you got something here with this act 1!! :)