Wednesday, April 28, 2010

MomGyver

Molly wanted to go shopping for her birthday today.  We left the house about 1:30.  I had my shopping bags, my purse, my coffee, water bottles for each of us,  a leotard for Rowan to change into later and supplies to do her hair.  I did not have the baby bag.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until Desmond pooped.  Across town.  At 4:30.  No where near a store that sells diapers.

I really didn't want to drive to a store and buy disposables.  We have been using them at night to keep Des from getting a rash, but I am hoping we don't have to buy more than the one package.

I had also been in 6 stores by this point in the day, and couldn't stand the thought of loading everyone in the car, driving,  unloading & loading up again.  I still had to feed 5 children and drop off Molly  & Savannah before going to the gym.

My other options raced through my head...

Leave him in the stinky diaper. -  No, his skin is way too sensitive.
Let him go diaperless. - No way!  We won't be home for at least 3 hours.
Find something in the car to use as a diaper. - It's just been cleaned out and only the things we need are in it.
Buy something to use as a cloth diaper. - That's it!

I scanned the shopping center and decided to try World Market.  As soon as I entered the kitchen section I came across  flour sack dish towels.  They'd definitely work & I'd love to have them, but I didn't want to pay $10. I perused the cloth napkins, but they usually have to be washed before they have any absorbency. Then I spied a microfiber dishtowel.  It claims to "hold 7 times it's weight in water".  It's also on sale.  50% off $5.99.  Yay!

Molly helped me change Desmond with the wipes I keep in the van.  We reused the diaper cover he had on  and one of her plastic shopping bags for the dirty diaper.  Then we were on our way...

I have to say, I am totally proud of myself.  I handled the situation without compromising my principles with needless driving and buying of disposable products.  I would rather have not bought anything at all, but at least that dishtowel will be used for years to come in our home.  Yay, me!

Anyone else have a MomGyver story to share?

1 comment:

Janet said...

You are a super mom! I love that you only want to buy one package of disposable diapers. :)