Saturday, April 24, 2010

24 Hours of H E Double Hockey Sticks

Wednesday morning Rowan started throwing up.  It didn't seem like such a big deal.  She would puke then play.  Puke then eat.  Puke then bounce around the house in her  normal, happy way.

Thursday, she was fine.  We went to gymnastics, ate tacos (try to forget about the tacos while you read the rest of this) and watched Survivor just like usual.

Here's where the 24 hours start and where Rowan gets her new nickname from Daddy, Typhoid Rowan.  (Beware, I'm gonna say puke a lot.)

Around 11:30 pm, Desmond started puking.  In his bed.  In his sleep.  Wave and I cleaned him up and changed the bed.  Des went right back to sleep.

In 15 minutes we went through the same routine.  Ugh.

This time Desmond wouldn't go back to sleep so easily.  Lydia was still awake, so she came into my room and played with him a little.  After a bit, he fell asleep in my bed...and woke up puking.

We changed our bed.  I laid down extra blankets under Des just in case.  Then Lydia started puking!

Des moved off the blankets and puked some more.  Lydia went to bed and puked all over her bed and Rowan's (Yay, bunk beds!).

I'll spare you all the details and cut to a couple of sheet changings later.  I have Lydia and Desmond in my bed.  Wave is sleeping in his office.  I have left the light on because I  am tired of turning it back on every 15 minutes or so.  It is 6am and I really haven't slept yet.

Then it hits ME!  I run to the toilet and... you know.  Then Lydia wakes up.  Have I said, "ugh"?  How about a double ugh for the puke traffic jam.  Lydia pukes on the floor, I puke in the sink.  I cover the mess with a towel and leave it for the morning.

By this point, I guess my body had had enough.  I slept for 2 whole hours.

When I woke up, I felt like I'd been beaten thoroughly  AND sleep deprived.  My only hope was that Wave could take the day off of work.  Unfortunately, he had also succumbed to the  virus.

Most of Friday is a blur to me.  I know I was hot and achy.  I know I spent most of it on the couch.  I know I was too weak to lift Desmond.  I know I couldn't eat or drink.  Lydia and Wave were pretty much in the same state.  Desmond was feeling much better, but not quite 100%.

Luckily Molly was here to save the day.  For all the trouble that girl gives me, she really shines when it comes to helping out when I am sick.  She took care of us all all day long.  She did it all without being told to or complaining.  She stripped beds, did laundry, changed diapers, brought us water and medicine, gave baths & cleaned.  I don't know what we would have done without her!  I feel so grateful to her for her loving, caring attitude towards her family.

Poor Molly saved the day, but was not spared for her kindness.  Around 9 or 10pm, just as Wave and I were starting to feel better, she fell prey to the vile sickness.  By that time I felt okay enough to help her out some and take over with Desmond.

This morning, everyone except Molly felt normal.  Lydia even felt well enough for gymnastics.  Molly seems to be doing alright, she asked for donut holes and hot Cheetos first thing this morning, but couldn't eat them after Wave bought them for her.  I wouldn't have even asked at that point yesterday!

By this time tomorrow, I'm sure we will all be back to normal.  The house needs major bleaching and ants took full advantage of our lowered defenses.  The piles of laundry need to be folded and put away.  I am just glad to feel well enough to take care of it all!

(Just in case you didn't get enough...puke, puke, puke, puke, puke.)

5 comments:

Janet said...

That's terrible! That's really terrible. :( I'm glad you are slowly getting better

Melissa said...

Wow, sounds like a tough illness. So glad you are all feeling better! Great job Molly!!!!!! That is the sign of the girl growing up...

Kim said...

I am SO sorry to hear of the puke-fest you all had. It sounded fast and furious. Thank God for the fast part. Yay Molly as well!

Unknown said...

I'm happy to report I didn't puke once :)

susie said...

Sorry to have missed out on all of the fun...yuck! Molly always seems to shine in the difficult times doesn't she?...can't believe she is 16 now...I am very proud of you sweet girl! Happy Birthday