Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bad Starbucks! Bad Starbucks!


I have long been an adversary of Starbucks' business practices. Particularly the way they seem focused on overpopulating the planet with stores on every corner. When I lived in San Francisco, I used their store locator to find out how many stores where within a 5 mile radius of my home. The result was 96! When I check the same site today, it tells me there are only 71 in the same area. I guess this slump in the economy has at least one benefit!

Yesterday my husband told me about a news story he had heard. I was appalled and thought you might like to hear about it too.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1771553.ece

For those of us who remain metric system impaired, I used an online calculator to figure out how much 23.4 million gallons is. It's 6,181,626.03 US gallons! Per day! Can you even imagine being that irresponsible?

I prefer to give my money to independent stores who do more than just claim to be green. It is easy to spend a bunch of money talking about how much you care about the environment. It is much tougher to walk the walk.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So does that mean you didn't get your free Starbucks on election day?