Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"I only buy the things I can't make."


My dear friend Sandy recently made the statement in the title of this post to me. Such a simple idea, but it really had an effect on me. I have been conscious of all the little things we each can do to help out Mother Earth for a long time. I have nagged plenty of my family and friends about recycling, composting & turning off lights. This idea really struck a chord with me because it is one more thing I can do.
So, I have begun my journey towards a more independent existence. I hope you will enjoy hearing about it as much as I am enjoying living it.
Homemade Mayonnaise
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup oil
Put egg, salt, mustard & vinegar in blender with 1/4 cup of the oil. Blend on low, uncover and slowly but steadily pour in the remaining oil.
Makes 1 1/4 cups
Costs less than $1
Takes about 5 minutes to make

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad to see you have decided to go for the blogging! Not convinced about making my own mayo(ok, i'll think about it), but I am looking forward to reading and seeing what other things you come up with! Should be good!
Melissa :-)

Kim said...

Yahoo! Another blogger for me to read! Glad to see you via the computer and enjoy your title of your blog. Tell the girlies hello!