Thursday, July 31, 2008

Homemade Creamed Corn



This has been my most successful experiment to date! Everyone in my family had a taste before I added it to the mix for Mexican Corn Bread. It is entirely different from the stuff that comes in a can. There is absolutely no liquid in the end product. It is sweet and crunchy. I made it after buying too much fresh corn. I also threw in half an ear that got cooked, but not eaten the night before. The darker colors you see in the photo are kernels of red corn. The recipe is from Southern Living with some modifications from me. Give it a try! I promise you will be pleasantly surprised.


Creamed Corn
1/4 cup butter or margerine
2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; stir in corn kernels & milk. Sprinkle with cornstarch, sugar & salt; stir well.

Bring mixture to a boil, stiring constantly. Reduce heat & simmer, stirring constantly, 8-10 minutes. (Great arm workout!) Serve immediately.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Cost varies. Mine was about $2.50
Time 20-25 minutes


2 comments:

Kim said...

I might try this one. Thanks for including the recipe. My mom used to put creamed corn over fried potatoes when I was little. I think it is an "oakie" dish but pretty delicious. Your dad could make his signature fried spuds and you could make the creamed corn.

Error said...

I like to roast corn on my stoneware pan, that way I don't have to use as much butter - just add a little after for taste. I also like to add dried garlic flakes and a little fresh pepper. I'll make a ton and throw it in salads, burritos, fish tacos, lot's of stuff throughout the week. Yum. Good one!